Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday 3.9: Back squats + wod (row, burpees, kb, du, lunges)


Monday. Back squats 5x5 (max 110kg) + wod: row / burpee / KB / DU / lunges. Time 13.03

Strength training, small rest period and then a workout consisting of rowing, burpees, kettlebell swings, double unders and lunges. I finalised the workout with a second set of rowing. I had scheduled hip thrusters as well but I didn't have enough time so I had to skip 'em. I must include those in some other training, but not early in the morning. Can't apparently wake up that early =)

Strength. Sets of 5 repetitions, once again, 80+90+100+105+110 (4 reps). My warm-up wasn't that good today, at least my joints didn't feel as flexible as they should have and what they are capable of. That worried me in the beginning but once I got it going, I forgot it rather quickly and it went smoothly. However, warming up is crucial so never forget to get the muscles and joints prepared before the workout! Another thing I was discussing with my brother was that there should be some variations in the strength workouts' amount of repetitions. I've been stuck with 5x5 sets and will therefore have more deviations in the future. 3x1, 3x5, 3x5, 5x1, 5x3, 5x5 type of sets. Bring some new stuff for the body so it won't get too familiar and doesn't stay in the comfort zone. This is the new approach to developing strength in my body. Today I still went through the routine with 5x5 reps. Max rep set was the same as my personal record of 110kg, I lifted it four times and on the fifth I needed a friend's help to get it pushed back up. Thanks Visa :) Anyway, I can't be dissappointed as 110 came up four times.

Wod. Rowing as main ingridient, with sidekicks of burpees, KB, DU and lunges. Time 13.03

  • 1.000m row
  • 20 burpees
  • 30 KB (20kg)
  • 40 DU
  • 50 lunges
  • 1.000m row


Beforehand I figured the pace of rowing would not make a difference in the final time as much as to do the other movements unbroken. A couple of seconds difference in the rowing pace per 500m wouldn't determine if the wod was successful or not so why try make record on the first rowing kilometer. Better to make it with good and fast pace but not so that you're totally out of the game after that. There was a time for that hero achievement: in the last rowing sprint. I clocked 1.45 / 500m pace on the first kilometer of rowing, went burpees unbroken, same with the kettlebell. There were too many double unders for me to manage them unbroken, I recall them somewhat around 15+10+5+10. Then lunges went unbroken as well, it was a thigh burner for sure but I didn't want any further interruptions after DUs. The last row was around 1.50 / 500m pace so the difference between rows was around 10 seconds.

Considering it afterwards, I put my heart into the wod completely. There may have been some time saving in double unders but I had to get my breathe at some points, I couldn't keep it continuous all the time. Burpees are a movement which in my opinion require skills to get them going fast. The movements have to be so smooth to keep the body going at all times. There could have been saved time seconds. Other than that, I'm happy with the kettlebell and lunges, I don't think I could have done them any quicker. All in all, I'd say this wod performance was rather good. In the evening I have 1.5h floorball training. Tomorrow I'm having two crossfit sessions in my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment