Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tuesday 21.8: back squat + two wods

Tuesday. Strength: back squats 5 x 5. Sets of 5-reps, max 105kg. Two wods consisting of back squats + pull-ups + walking lunges. The other one consisting of abs and double-unders.


Yesterday I had push press workout in the morning and the evening was supposed to be free from training as we had a preseason game and I wasn't planned to be in the roster 'cause I played the previous game. However, I received a phone call from coach 45min before the game began that I was needed as a back up goalie so I naturally packed my stuff and headed to our home stadium. Proper warm-up for the game and during the game I did 100 push-ups, 100 back extensions and 200 bench dips to get full utilization of the evening :) The game itself wasn't a success for our team, we lost 0-4 to a team that's playing one step higher than our team.

Strength. Third day in 8 days with squats. Last week's Monday was back squats, Friday was front squats and today again back squats. This was also the eight training in last five days so I think I've earned a day off after this :) My warm-up quite regularly consists of rowing, air squats, walking lunges, overhead squats, push presses, pull-ups, push-ups, abs, back extensions, short streching and moves that will open the pelvic area muscles. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get it going. I use a lot of plastic bar to extend my muscles to their extreme positions. Take it light in the beginning and with light weights, just get your body get used to what's about to happen.


For strength I took 5-rep sets of 90 + 90 + 100 + 100 + 105kg weights. I'm not 100% happy with my squat techinique today. My training partners weren't there with me to correct my errors so I may not have gone as down in each rep as I wanted. Don't get me wrong, they were close but not perfect, at least all of them. Anyway, my quads and hamstrings are burning so something was done correctly.

First wod. I saw this workout at crossfit.pori's web site, I moderated it a bit. The wod consisted of back squats, pull-ups and walking lunges. In brackets you can see how many pull-ups I was able to perform in each round.

  • 18 back squats
  • Max reps pull-ups (20)
  • 15 back squats
  • Max reps pull-ups (9)
  • 12 back squats
  • Max reps pull-ups (7)
  • 9 back squats
  • Max reps pull-ups (6)
  • 6 back squats
  • Max reps pull-ups (6)
  • 50m walking lunges with 20kg bar.

There was a total of 60 squats with 55kg and 48 pull-ups that I managed to do. I didn't fight against the clock but just for the sake of curiosity I checked that it took about 11 minutes. Even though it was only 55kg, due to the amount of high reps, it began to  feel heavy in an excellent way. It wasn't too much but still you had to really work hard. And what about the pull-ups? I have never tried my personal record in pull-ups so I guess I must say my PR is 20 for now. Round after round my body felt heavier and arms / back felt more tired. Anyway, total of 48 reps is not bad, I'm happy with that or now. The crown of the wod was cruel: 50 meters walking lunges with the bar kept straight over head. You could feel it all over your body. The legs were close to cramping, shoulders were in pain and breathing started to get thicker as I held the bar over my head for so long. This was a tough exercise and very much recommendable!



Second wod. After some breathing and recovery, I still had some energy left, which I wanted to take advantage of. I ended up with doing abs and double-unders. Once again, not fighting against the clock, just concentrating to get the movements correctly.

  • 10 knees to elbows
  • 10 DU
  • 10 knees to elbows
  • 10 DU
  • 10 toes to bar
  • 10 DU
  • 10 ab wheel
  • 10 DU
  • 10 ab wheel
  • 10 DU

My plan was to do five sets of 10 knees to elbows and five sets of 10 double-unders. The K2E were heavy so I modified it to toes-to-bar and finally to ab wheel. I suppose there's still much to do with my technique in K2E and T2Bar because I'm doing those with slower pace compared to those crossfit.com's video clips. However, the double-unders were a piece of cake! How could there be such a difference. I'm telling you, they were ridiculously easy for some reason. They went unbroken in every set. I did take a single-under every time between but I mean all sets were unbroken in a double-single-double-single style. Very happy with this!!! Maybe there is light at the end of a tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment